Monday, December 8, 2014

Park Heejune/ Oral history final draft/Tuesday 9 a.m.

201101551 Park Heejune

Final Draft

My Dream Continent, Africa

 

 I've always interested in life in Africa since I watched a movie named Out of Africa when I was a middle school student. In that film, that continent seemed like an amazing place with vast fields, burning sun and enormous trees. Of course, after growing up, I knew well what I imagined was just a part of Africa, but until now, I want to visit there. That is why I chose Younhee, a best friend of mine, who lived for 8 years in Cote d'Ivore, to interview.

 She left to Africa when she was 8 years old because her father was transferred to the Cote d'Ivore branch of an iron-manufacturing company. I asked her what the first impression of that country was. She said she was very shocked because, at that time, in 1999, the airport was not built well, she had to get off on the ground. She was also worried about the hot weather. "It was November when I arrived there, but it was hotter than the summer!" she said, "But after all, it was not humid like Korea, I could bear with it."

 She adjusted her new life quiet well thanks to Korean friends, and fortunately, in the international school, there was no trouble (like racism) at all. But soon, the first hardship came to her, a civil war. 3 weeks after her family settled in the country, a general who was a candidate of president mounted a coup. "Actually I was only 8 years old, I didn't know much about how it was going on. But what made me really scared was armed soldiers. My house was nearby the broadcast station, so around my house, it was always crowed by them. Even though they tried not to make troubles with foreigners, one day, they threw a used grenade into my house through the window!"

 Although this civil war ended after 3 months when the general defeated and died, there was another civil war 4 years later. It was much harder than the first one, and I could feel it while interviewing because her voice suddenly became low. "I remembered the second civil war much clearer than the first one, because this time, French military intervened. Well, the reason it happened was the president wanted to cut the relationship between France. So French government sent an army and in Cote d'Ivore, people separated two groups, one who agreed with the president and the others who didn't, and fought each other. This time, Korean embassy demanded to return but every Koreans stayed," she kept saying, "I can hear the sounds of tanks and grenades. It became a trauma, I can't really enjoy firework because it remind me the brutal and harsh moment. Yes, I saw through the windows, soldiers lashed some people with whips. I watched them only for a moment, but I know I can never forget the scene."

 I thought I knew the dark sides of my dream continent, but after hearing this vivid experience, I realized I was totally wrong. To be honest, I was scared when she talked about the civil wars. Therefore, I asked her my last question, "Do you want to go back?", and I was sure that she would answer "no." However, I was wrong again. "Always," she answered very brightly, "even if I suffered little bit, I missed Cote d'Ivore. This country is really nice to live, low price of groceries, delicious and sweet fruits, and especially the atmosphere! Ivorians always have a room, not like Koreans, they never hurry and spend enough time to rest. I think we need this attitude!"

Her high-pitched tone encouraged me to shake off the fear I got, after I heard the civil wars. Also, that voice brought me into reality again. I trembled little bit after finished the interview because I could imagine, based on her story, the sunny African and the bloody Africa at the same time. Thanks to her, I could know the both bright and dark side of Africa and this experience will help me someday when I go there.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment