Sunday, October 19, 2014

Hyejin Kim/Final draft of character sketch/Tue 9 a.m.

<Ch.3 Final Draft>

My Grandmother

201001006 Hyejin Kim

 

I had been raised by my grandmother, my father's mother. Both of my parents always had works and still they do. So my grandmother had taken care of me and my younger brother. When I was a little child, I had much more time to spend with my grandmother than parents. We slept in the same room. At that time she used to read many books and tell her story for me. She was always by my side, preparing meals and spending time with me. Although I'm alone in this city far away from my hometown and her now, I always love her and I don't know how to express my gratitude for all of the things that she had done for me.

She has short curly hair and high pitched voice. She is small but still has perfect posture even though she is nearly eighty years old. Several friends of mine met her and they were very surprised saying "Are you sure that she becomes eighty soon?", "I can't believe it! I thought she is about sixty-something!" and "My grandmother is also nearly eighty but she is bent with the weight of years". She is very healthy. Actually if you met her, you could see that her face was filled with smile and vivid energy. I think this is because she makes her body keep busy.

Usually she wakes up at 6 o'clock to prepare breakfast for family and then she go out for hiking and exercising. She climbs up a small mountain near our house, meets her friends and does exercise together. Since I was a little kid, she has hiked every morning. About 11o'clock she comes back and does washes, cleaning, preparing lunch and other households. After lunch and washing up she takes a short nap and listens to the radio. About 5 o'clock, she starts to prepare dinner. You maybe think this is the life of a housekeeper whose life is fully booked with endless households. However she tries to keep her body busy and she believes these kinds of exercising make her healthier. Furthermore it is one of the biggest pleasures for her to see me and my brother eat the dishes she cooked. She says "I'm very happy to see you eating food that I made. Is there anything you want to eat more?" I cannot find the word to express my appreciation since I didn't have to worry about being alone, taking care of my younger brother and prepare meals by myself thanks to all the things she had prepared for us.

She has positive mind and enjoys singing songs. She watches music programs for the elderly every Monday and Sunday and I can hear the songs she sings along. Sometimes she asks me to print out the lyrics of the songs to memorize and practice it. The reason why she does this is that she often goes to karaoke with her friends and wants to sing that song with them. Every weekend she dresses up and puts on makeup to go out for meeting some friends. When I see her preparing these stuffs, she looks very happy and excited. Even she asks me which clothes would be nice for her. This is the time that I like the most since she is lovely like a girl who goes out for picnic. She and her friends seem to eat lunch, go to karaoke, and chat together. After coming back, she tells us stories that she heard from them with loud voice. My mother says "She is truly enjoying her life and thinks doing households for family is her mission. I really appreciate her. "

Now I cannot see her as many times as I want to but when she calls me, the first thing she says is "Are you eating well?" When I hear the words, I realize that she is thinking of me every moment she prepares the meals, saying like "Hyejin would really like this food", since the most important thing she always stresses is eating healthy food. She often sends me a package fully filled with foods like Kimchi, rice, fruit and other side dishes, wishing I take care of myself by eating healthy foods that she cooked. The most fundamental thing that I learned from her is eating all of the breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Every morning I was very hurry not to be late in school when I was young, but she'd never let me go unless I had the breakfast. Therefore even now when I'm living alone, I never skip my meals. I hope she lives so long that I can take care of her, buy fancy dresses, make some delicious foods and take her to a lot of gorgeous places.    



No comments:

Post a Comment