Monday, October 13, 2014

Namhye Kim/Character Sketch/Tue 9am

201100316 Kim Nam Hye

 

My Friend: Common but Unique Friend.

 

   Everyone might have their own friends. I too have a few friends. But, I have a different relationship to each of them. Some are very close to me, some are quite close to me, and some are not that close actually. Among those friends, I have a really close friend, whom I can describe very complicated friend; she looks very common, but when you know her deeply, she is a unique girl.

The name of this friend is Jun-hee. I met her in my high school. Since then, we have been a best friend. Maybe that's because our hobbies are same, and we are in sync with each other. When it comes to her appearance, her appearance is actually not distinctive. She always says "Many people say that I resemble one of their friends." Yes, I agree with that. This is because, every single part of her appearance is amazingly so common, and in other words, nothing out of the way. I'd like to say that she is a girl of standard point. In detail, she wears black horn-rimmed glasses which make her look quite academic. You might easily find similar glasses wherever you go, as many people wear similar looking-glasses, maybe the colors are different. She is as tall as just the average, not too short not too high. She is a woman of a medium build, not skinny, not fat, just in the middle.

 

  But, as a friend I have found some features of her appearance that is unique, not common.

She has light brown eyes, which always twinkles. Most Koreans have inky black eyes. In addition to that, she has especially kind-looking slightly drooped eyes. I like her drooped eyes, because when I see her eyes, it makes me feel calm and relaxed. But, she is not satisfied with her drooped eyes. She often says "My eyes are small, and similar to those of dogs, as they are drooped." She has full lips which makes me feel illusively that she's blowing a bubble now. She says her chubby lip reminds her of her favorite actor of plump lips. She has curly hair, so her hair is always full of volume. I think this thick, luxuriant hair looks good on her.

When it comes to her personality, she's a nice person. It sounds so abstract. I must add, I am saying it, not because she is my friend, but she really is very kind and nice to other. She almost always follows other's opinion. For example, whenever we decide where to meet, when to meet or what to eat, she says "I will follow your opinion. Just say it." She has never been stubborn, and self-centered, as long as I saw her. She is a considerate person. So, sometimes it seems like she's a machine without 'No' button. But, some people who know my friend doesn't like her personality. They say "She is so considerate that I feel uncomfortable. When I am with her, I feel like I become a bad person."I understand what they mean, but I have a different opinion. I think it is her good strength, and I like it too. Being rude and selfish to other is much worse.

 By the way, she still has an innocent shyness too. She easily feels shy. She is so shy that she feels uncomfortable having a phone call while in public transportations. One day, I had something to ask her, so I called her as usual. But, her voice was low, so quiet, and even strained. So, then, I was worried that her voice was so depressed. I asked her "Why are you so depressed, and nervous. Do you have any problem?" Then she says, "I'm sorry, but I'm now in a subway. It's so quite here actually, so I can't talk loudly. I will call you later. Bye." I was confused and a little bit unhappy because of her answer. But, time after time, I finally become to understand her particular personality. May be it's also related to her personality full of carefulness. She might not have wanted to bother others.

  What I have realized through this writing is that each person is unique. They all have their own outward features, and likewise internal characteristics. So, I would like to say that every person is special and precious just the way they are.

 

3 comments:

  1. From. Hajin Ahn
    To.Namhye Kim

    1. I think you are really good at describing something with metaphor.

    2. (1) similar to those of dogs
    (2) reminds of her favorite actor of plump lips.
    (3) she's a machine without 'No' button.
    They all vividly show how she looks like and behaves.

    3. What the person looks like
    - In addition to that, she has especially kind-looking slightly drooped eyes.

    What the person says
    - "I will follow your opinion. Just say it."

    What the person does
    -But, her voice was low, so quiet, and even strained.

    What other people say about the person
    -They say "She is so considerate that I feel uncomfortable. When I am with her, I feel like I become a bad person."

    4. You wrote in your conclusion that now you realized each person is different. But I was little confused because you only wrote about one person. How did you realize every person is special by only looking into one person? I would like you to explain it more.

    5. I think you chose to describe your friend because you thought how she looks and behaves were very different which can make your description much more interesting. She doesn't have unique appereance but she has distinctive features in terms of her personality.

    6. I would like you to explain a special incident specifically that can show her characteristics in detail.
    Did you learn anything from her? If you did, please write more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. She is very common Korean girl but has unique characteristics.
    2. 1) Her appearance is quite in the 'middle' of everything but the writer had found her great points.
    2) One of her appearance charateristics is her kind looking eyes.
    3) As an inward charateristic, she is very kind but also shy so she does not take a phone call in a public places trying to consider others.

    3. What the person looks like : She has light brown eyes and curly hair.
    What the person says: "My eyes are small, and similar to those of dogs, as they are drooped."
    What the person does : She really don't say 'no' to others' request
    What other people say about the person: some of her friends say they do not like her. They say "She is so considerate that I feel uncomfortable. When I am with her, I feel like I become a bad person."
    4. About the story, there were nothing that i could not understand. However, some tense mistake made me confused.
    5.I think the writer chose her best friend because s/he knows this person very well and considers as a very unique person.
    6. Could you please give me one more uniqueness of your friend? and do you now call her everytime you want to? or ask her before you call her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd draft
    My Friend : A Hidden Jewel

    I would like to introduce my friend. She’s my best friend, and the name of my friend is Jun-hee. When I first met her when we were 17years old, her face looked familiar to me .So it made me easier to approach her, and talk to her. After then, we found out that we have common interests-pop songs, and baseball- and that has led us to become best friend.
    When it comes to her appearance, every single part of her appearance is very common, and in other words, nothing out of the way. She acknowledges it and says “Many people say that I resemble one of their friends.” Actually, I also felt the same when met her for the first time. I’d also like to say that she is a girl of standard point. In detail, she wears black horn-rimmed glasses which make her look quite academic. She looks very kind and smart girl whom you can find easily surrounding you.. Her height is also the average, not too short not too high. She is a woman of a medium build, not skinny, not fat, just in the middle.
    But, as a close friend of her, I have found some salient point in her appearance.She has light brown eyes, which always twinkles. In fact, most Koreans have inky black eyes. In addition to that, she has kind-looking and slightly drooped eyes. I like her drooped eyes, because her eyes make her look cute. But, she said that she is not satisfied with her drooped eyes. She often says “My drooped eyes are so drooped that they look like those of dogs.” She has full lips which make me illusively feel that she’s blowing a bubble now. She says her chubby lip resembles her favorite singer’s plump lips. She has curly hair with full of volume. I think this thick, luxuriant hair looks good on her.
    When it comes to her personality, she’s a nice person. She really is very kind and nice to other. She almost always follows other’s opinion, and never insists her opinion. For example, whenever we decide where to meet, when to meet or what to eat, she often says “I will follow your opinion. Choose whatever you want.”
    By the way, she’s very shy girl. Here is one example for this: She usually feels uncomfortable having a phone call while in public transportations. One day, I had something to ask her, so I called her by cellular phone. But, when she took up the phone, her voice was very quiet, and even strained. So, then, I was very worried about her voice. I asked her “Why are you so depressed, and nervous. Do you have any problem?” Then she says, “I’m sorry, but I’m now in a subway. It’s too quite here, and I can’t talk loudly. I will call you later. Bye”
    I was confused and a little bit unpleasant because of her answer. But, time after time, I finally become to understand her particular personality. She might not have wanted to bother others.
    Though her appearance is not flattering at first sight, but, when you look closer, you’ll find that her appearance is very attractive. Besides she has a warm personality too. So, I think she’s a real hidden jewel.

    ReplyDelete