Saturday, September 20, 2014

Edward Yom(염준호)/Assignment 1(Why I write)/Intermediate English Writing Tuesday 1,2

     I believe I have a rather positive attitude about writing. I especially enjoy writing poems, and sometimes during my leisure time, I write poems that rhymes. I never found writing itself difficult, but some writing tasks are more challenging than others depending on the subject I have to write on, and how much time is given for me to write it.

     The writing style I have the most difficulty in is free writing, and writing in a restrained time frame. If there is a topic to write about, regardless of challenging the topic may be, I can think about it, or if necessary research the necessary information I need to write the essay. However, when it is a free topic essay, it is very open-ended, and hard to choose a proper topic. I am poor at writing in a restrained time frame, meaning I only have 40 minutes, or only 1 hour to write an essay, especially if the topic I need to write on is something I have not thought about prior to writing. My writing is a domino. It takes time to place the domino's in place but once everything is placed, and the first domino falls, everything falls in place. I am the type of person who paces, or does other things while keeping writing at the back of my mind, and start writing when I have mentally organized what I will write about. It is often hard for me to write the introduction, but once I write the introduction, I can find a hook for that introduction, and the rest of the essay comes naturally. 

     In contrast to my rather passionate attitude towards writing, I am not a huge fan of reading. Due to my lack of reading, I sometimes find it challenging to find the proper word to describe certain situations. When I am required to write essays that amounts to around ten pages, sometimes I am hesitant to even read my own writing, and revising my work often comes down as a burdensome process.

 

     Most of the students find writing for an academic purpose rather difficult. However, I enjoy writing more when it is for an assignment. When I write for fun, it is just a kid who writes for fun during his leisure time. However, when I write for an assignment, I know for a fact that there is at least one audience reading my work, and it feels like I am being paid to do what I want. 

2 comments:

  1. I must say I am astonished by your feelings toward writing! For me, when it comes to writing for an assignment, I get stressed easily by the fact that it's graded and get anxious. Also, I am rather confident with writing free essays as I have more freedom, but am very reluctant to write poems. We are very dissimilar in terms of writing! It was very interesting to see how you feel towards writing :)
    -Jihoon Yoo 201301135

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Hae Sook Yoon and I enjoyed your writing. I can see that you are a good writer because you have a lot of experiences in writing in your free time. However some sentences just runs on and on and I suggest just keeping the sentences short because that's more easy to understand.
    I should learn your attitude toward writing. It's much more comfortable to think that way. Have a nice day and see you in class!

    ReplyDelete