Saturday, September 20, 2014

Jihoon Yoo/Assignment #1 Why I write/ Tuesday 9-11

Why I write…

Jihoon Yoo

201301135 EIT

 

 

During my high school years, I used to be very hesitant towards writing, as everything I wrote about during my high school was just for college entrance exam or TOEFL. In both the entrance exam and TOEFL, there were set criteria in which I had to follow, word limits, given topics and more. Therefore, as there were not much things I had to decide by myself, there was no actual joy to writing. However, as I came to HUFS University, things started to change. The writings that professors required were still assignments and were graded, but it felt different as the professors gave me just broad concepts of what to write, and only brief ideas that could be incorporated into my writings. Other than that, there were no word limits or things that I had to include or exclude. For that I was able to contemplate on what I wanted to write, organize my paragraphs in a way I wanted it to be, and search for my own ideas. Therefore, only when I attended the university I started writing as I wanted, which allowed me to broaden my thoughts and come up with interesting and new ideas. Now I regard writing as not something that I must do, but as something I can do to develop myself and increase my potentials. But more than that, writing became enjoyable to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I enjoyed your interesting and honest writing. Yes, many students of Korea hate writing because the various tests and assignments. I also was the student who dislike to write and hate every writing homework. However, likewise you, after entering HUFS EIT, I got chances to write my own opinion in English. At the first time I was very nervous about using English, but now I accustom to write though I'm not good at using English well yet.
    To wrap up, your writing reminds my past experiences and feelings. Thanks for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jihoon.
    Your writing was interesting to read. I also have similar experiences like yours. As a high school student, I had written difficult essays in order to pass the entrance exam for university. I felt they were so difficult for me, like you mentioned - word limits,and given topics.
    Any way, your writing seems very organized.You wrote about your attitudes toward writing in time orders. So, I felt your writing was comfortable to read and understand. I hope you enjoy writing things constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi this is Hye ji Kwon
    Yes, TOEFL writing drives me crazy too. It is really boring. I just fill blanks
    as I have studied how to answer repeating it many times. On the other hand, in writing an assay, I have to make my own ideas so I need to be
    creative. And there is no answer. It makes me relaxed and gives me a chance to have broad perspectives on various topics. I agree with you in that we can improve my English skills by writing alot.

    ReplyDelete