Saturday, September 20, 2014

Hyejin Kim/#1 Why I Write/Tue 9 a.m.


Why I write.

 

201001006 Hyejin Kim

I think I have different purposes depending on which language I use for writing. I write in English, which is not my mother tongue, for my homework, especially essays. When I write in Korean, my mother tongue, I have some emotional reasons. I write very short essays to organize my mind, or letters to express my emotion to my friends and family. Especially, I really like to write a letter to my friends. Because writing a letter to them with a pencil makes me feel like I'm writing something very special and actually I know that people who receive my letter are used to reading e-mail and they are truly pleased to receive a handwritten letter.

On the other hand, writing in English is quite picky. While I write in mother tongue, it doesn't take much time to come up with good expressions. However, I have to think for a long time and google certain idioms or words for English writing. Also, the purpose of English writing has been academic for me. I hadn't have many chances to write something in English in high school, but now, in university, I have to write 15 pages of essays whose topic is so difficult that I cannot explain well even in Korean. So it is not that exciting exercise for me. In short, I write in Korean for emotional reasons and in English for academic reasons.


  

02boa@naver.com

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I liked reading your post, as you have similar feelings towards writing in Korean and in English as I do. I am used to writing in Korean both for academic reasons and for emotional reasons, but it seems to be awkward writing some emotional things in English. What about trying to write a diary in English? That's also what I am doing right now, and it seems to help you with getting used to English. And I believe that will help you a bit with getting used to writing in English too!
    -Jihoon Yoo 201301135

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, certainly it is! I totally agree with you, as my mother tongue is Korean as you are. Without any force, I don't usually write in English. Because I don't need to. But in these days, because I got a lot of foreign friends, I used to write in English even just simple one. I think it is very good to exercise. But still, it's very hard and annoying sometime...

    ReplyDelete